Confused by the hype of grass-fed versus grain-fed beef? Is grass-fed beef really worth the extra expense?
Today NutriFocus highlights 4 good reasons to consider choosing grass-fed beef....
- Grass-fed beef is much higher in nutrient levels. Grass-fed beef tends to be leaner, and have higher levels of vitamins, minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and beta carotene. Grass-fed beef has shown to have 4x the levels of vitamin E and 6x the levels of Omega-3 (compared to grain fed beef) which helps reduce the risk of arthritis, obesity, insulin resistance, allergies and autoimmune diseases. It is also a good source of CLA which is a healthy fat that protects against cancer.
- Grass-fed beef is better for the animals. Supports a natural and humane approach to sustainable farming BC the animals are allowed to roam free on the land.
- Supports local farming science. Raising livestock on pasture requires knowledge and skill -- it is a true science!!
- Grass-fed animals are healthy and drug-free. Cows fed grain can suffer digestive problems because grain is not their natural diet and is not digested properly. This can lead to the use of antibiotics and other medications which ultimately pollutes our food supply and environment.
This NutriFocusRD original recipe won me major points with my husband so I could not resist sharing this easy, slow-cooker meal with my NutriFocus Family!!! This chili is super easy, full of fiber, powered with protein, and packed full with vegetables! It is perfect for a weeknight dinner or to serve at your next tailgating party!! Best news is... it is even better the next day!!! Hope you guys enjoy!!
Organic Beef and 3-Bean Chili:
- 1 pound organic, grass-fed ground beef
- 1 Red Onion, Diced
- 3 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 (29oz) can Tomato Puree
- 1 (15oz) can Red Kidney Beans, Drained
- 1 (15oz) can Cannellini Beans, with Liquid
- 1 (15oz) can Chickpeas, Drained
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin (optional)
- ½ Tbsp Smoked Paprika (optional)
- 2 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce
Place ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Season with 1 Tbsp Chili Powder, 1 Tbsp Cumin, ½ Tbsp Smoked Paprika, 1 tsp Garlic Salt, and Ground Black Pepper. Cook until evenly brown. Drain remaining liquid.
Place the beef in your slow-cooker. Add in onion, celery, green bell pepper, garlic, tomato puree, drained kidney beans, drained chickpeas, and cannellini beans with liquid. Season mixture with 1 Tbsp chili powder, dried parsley, garlic salt, dried basil, oregano, black pepper and sriracha sauce. Stir mixture well. Cover and cook on low for 8-hours!
Garnish with shredded parmesan cheese and low-fat sour cream and serve alongside sweet cornbread muffins!
To Locate Local Grass-Fed Farms, Check Out the Eat Wild Website for Farms Across the Southeast!