For Christmas my husband received a waffle maker from my parents. He LOVES waffles and has been eating frozen waffles for the past several months. I'm okay with frozen waffles, but as a dietitian, my hope is that my husband, as well as our family, can enjoy quality "whole foods" with minimal preservatives and without unnecessary additives. When my husband received a waffle maker for Christmas, so began my search for a waffle batter recipe that would be a perfect for us!
Ree Drummond (better known as The Pioneer Woman) provided a recipe that inspired me to warm up our waffle iron!
Need ideas to warm up your waffle iron?
Below are 5 foodie fun reasons to begin incorporating waffles back into your diet:
- Chicken and Smoked Cheddar Waffles (Recipe: MyRecipes)
- BLT on Cheddar Rosemary Waffle Bread (Recipe: Baker Bettie)
- Strawberry Shortcake Napoleons (Recipe: Feels Like Home)
- Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches (Recipe: Martha Stewart)
- Breakfast Quesadilla with Waffle Tortilla (Recipe: Waffle Batter Below - Fill with Favorite Breakfast Ingredients and Cook Like Quesadilla on Stovetop! Garnish with Sliced Avocado, Sour Cream, and/or Sriracha!)
Waffle Batter Recipe (Recipe Inspired by Pioneer Woman)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Organic Fat-Free Milk
- 2 Organic Whole Egg Yolks
- 1 ½ Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 4 Whole Organic Egg Whites
- Pre-heat your waffle iron.
- Mix together all-purpose flour, baking powder, sea salt, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend milk, 2 egg yolks, and vanilla together. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and gently mix until halfway combined. Pour in melted butter and gently continue mixing ingredients until combined.
- In a separate bowl, use a mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff. Slowly fold them into the batter until slightly combined.
- Scoop the waffle batter into the waffle iron in batches and cook according to its directions. Serve immediately with butter, warm maple syrup, and mixed berries.