Hey all, its Therese again with another fall themed recipe. I hope you enjoyed my last recipe, I know I did. Sticking with my orange gourd vegetable theme, I decided to make pumpkin cinnamon cupcakes with whipped cream cheese frosting! I cannot express to you, through this post alone, just how amazing these cupcakes are… you will just have to make it yourself!
I based my whipped cream cheese recipe off of Living Better Together’s whipped cream cheese. I like to make each recipe my own by tweaking the recipe a bit so I added cinnamon to the whipped cream cheese.
After never hearing of their existence, before walking around Walmart, I decided to add cinnamon chips to my cupcake recipe. The rest of the recipe is based off reading around twenty various pumpkin cupcake recipes on Pinterest that were all basically the same ingredients, but to give props to a specific recipe (which really helped in teaching me how to bake the cupcakes): Tracey’s Culinary Adventures brown butter pumpkin cupcakes.
Sticking to the fall theme, I wanted to make a dish that would be great for the season… the season of football. Everyone loves their wings, dips, and beer but what about dessert? Dessert is our ultimate goal anyways… These cupcakes are perfect for tailgating with their festive, football baking cups. I decided to bring these cupcakes to the Alabama-Tennessee game in Knoxville this weekend. However, I taste-tested one with one of my lucky roommates this afternoon and they are MELT IN YOUR MOUTH DELICIOUS- the perfect mixture of salty and sweet.
I also purchased some frilly pink baking cups (mostly so I could take SUPER CUTE pictures) to display how pretty these desserts are! I am saving these cupcakes for our girls’ night in tonight for "TGIT" and red wine.
Pumpkin & Cinnamon Chip Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 15 cupcakes
Pumpkin Cinnamon Cupcakes
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cinnamon chips
- 2 large eggs
Whipped Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, line cupcake pan with baking liners
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, pour into bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cinnamon chips.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, brown sugar (be sure to pack down in measuring cup), granulated sugar, eggs, and add the butter. Once well mixed, add the dry ingredients to mix together.
- Divide the batter into the baking cups, inside cupcake pans, fill until about ½ or ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (be sure to rotate the pans about 10 minutes in)
- Cool the cupcakes before adding the frosting
- Let the cream cheese soften by either setting out while baking cupcakes or soften in microwave (but not me-- I recommend microwaving for 30 seconds)
- Mix the cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar in medium bowl and whisk at medium speed (if you own an electric mixer)
- Add heavy whipping cream and whisk until the frosting forms peaks
- If the frosting is not thick enough, let sit in fridge for a bit and whip again